Dance Application: Due April 7, 2018
One of the goals of the Salem Arts Festival is to transform and celebrate the physical space of our downtown. To better incorporate dance performance as part of our efforts, last year we introduced an outdoor “Tiny Stage” series as part of the festival, allowing us to introduce a variety of dance in the middle of a (closed!) city street. In addition, we will also be programming at least one block of 10 minute pieces upstairs in historic Old Town Hall.
Applications submitted for Salem Arts Festival performances will be reviewed by a jury comprised of a variety of individuals from the Salem arts community. Space is limited, and the jury reserves the right to assign specific times and stages that best complement the festival.
- Dance performances will take place during the day on June 2 and 3.
- There two performance options intended specifically for dance and movement:
- Tiny Dance Stages – performers are challenged to choreograph a piece under 5 minutes in length, to be performed on a 4’x4′ wooden platform outdoors (rain location provided).
- Old Town Hall – for performers requiring a larger indoor space, the upstairs of Old Town Hall (roughly 20’x50′ open wooden floor) will be available for pieces up to 10 minutes in length.
- We welcome participants of all dance and movement genres to apply.
- NOTE: If you are comfortable performing outdoors on brick, you may also want to consider a normal performance application!
- Sound systems are available at all stages.
- Decisions will be made and communicated to applicants by late April.
- Upon final selection, performers will be given initial details regarding performance time, location, and any equipment that will be provided. Final logistics regarding load-in, parking, etc. will be sent closer to the festival weekend.
- All performers are provided with a small honorarium.
NOTE: When your application is complete, you should see green text at the bottom of the page confirming submission and will receive a confirmation email. If this does not happen, your application has not gone through properly. Your attached files may be too large; please try submitting again without images and email your three images directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.